Lexington Market has been a mainstay of Baltimore life for more than 200 years, and during its history, has been housed in many, many different market structures. Throughout its long history, its spirit of entrepreneurship, vibrancy, and culture has always endured. Now, it’s time for another transformation, one that reinvigorates Lexington Market for the next 200 years to come.
Participation in this transformation is the right and responsibility of every Baltimorean. Working together, Lexington Market will be the gathering place for all of Baltimore and a hub for community, culture, health, and wealth-building.
Roll up your sleeves, Baltimore, let’s get to work.
Renderings of the new Lexington Market building
Transform Lexington Survey
Hey, maybe you don’t want to join us in person, but you still have an opinion about the transformation of Lexington Market. That’s cool; we’d still love to hear from you.
Click here to take our survey. (This should take you about 10-15 minutes).
We’re moving full steam ahead on the Transform Lexington project, and there are a lot of moving pieces. In short, everyone from the City of Baltimore to the State of Maryland to committed customers and citizens have come together to approve a project plan. It involves building a new market structure (“the new South Market”) that harkens back to previous market forms on the current parking lot to the south of the existing East Market (where the majority of current vendors reside), demolishing the Arcade structure that sits on top of the former Lexington St., and reopening it as a walkable, urban plaza perfect for farmers’ markets and public gatherings.
And don’t worry, the East Market will remain open throughout the entire redevelopment process!
January – December 2019
Project planning and launch of the community engagement process
Groundbreaking on the new South Market building
January 2020 – Summer 2021
Construction of the new South Market building
Grand opening of the transformed Lexington Market!
Community Meeting #3 – Wednesday, February 5th, 2019 from 6-7:30pm in the Hippodrome Lobby (12 N Eutaw St., Baltimore MD 21201).
- Join us for a Community Meeting to continue the conversation about the redevelopment of Lexington Market. Snacks and drinks will be provided. RSVP here
News, Documents, and Other Information
Knowledge is power, and we want you to be in the know about what is happening with the transformation of Lexington Market. This is your repository of information, news, and updates.
- Transform Lexington Market Frequently Asked Questions – updated October 16, 2019
- City’s Official Announcement of Seawall as the Developer of Lexington Market – October 3, 2018
- UDAAP Presentation #1 – March 14, 2019
- UDAAP Presentation #2 – May 15, 2019
- Statement of Support for SNAP Benefits at Lexington Market by Baltimore Public Markets and Seawall – June 25, 2019
- Community Input Overview – Town Hall Meeting #1, June 26, 2019
- October 9, 2019 Community Meeting Presentation
- Community Input Overview – Community Meeting #2, October 9, 2019
- Baltimore Sun – Coverage from December 12, 2019
- Baltimore Business Journal – Coverage from December 19, 2019
- Press Release About the Closing of Project Financing – January, 6, 2020
Lexington Market for all, by all.
Stay in the Know
Want to hear about ways to engage with the project to transform Lexington Market – like town hall meetings, new vendor applications, and exciting programming leading up to the opening of the new market? Join our email list.